Sunday, May 8, 2011

NYR 5-8-11 - a Mother's Day to remember

Today is one of my favorite days of the whole year.

A day devoted just to mothers.

Sounds like heaven.

When we woke up this morning, Jimmy asked me what I wanted for breakfast and I chose french toast, so after lounging in the bed until I smelled coffee, I came downstairs to yummy french toast, bacon, and fresh canteloupe and pineapple. De-lish.

I told Jimmy and Mac that I didn't want a present since my blow-out birthday was just a month ago. So instead I got all these wonderful cards that Mac made in Spanish class at school. One of the cards contained a coupon book - in Spanish - for things like a free kiss, a free hug, a manicure, taking out the garbage, etc. I asked for the kiss and the hug, and Mac told me that I shouldn't waste all my coupons right away.

Then Mac looked at Jimmy and said "What you got?"

After breakfast, we had a little break before we hosted a potluck lunch at our house.

We'd originally intended to eat out a restaurant with a big group of friends (18 adults and 15 kids), but when I called 20 (no joke) restaurants, I couldn't find one single place to accommodate us. So our restaurant trip for Mother's Day turned into a potluck, which worked out great. We provided KFC fried chicken (which delivers here in Bogota so we didn't even have to leave home!) and everybody brought a side dish and/or dessert. Everything was yummy and the children could play and be noisy without getting us kicked out of a restaurant It was a great time and felt like a family Mother's Day lunch back in South Carolina.

Jimmy and Mac went out to rent a movie for late-afternoon viewing, and then we had a yummy supper of this little pasta sauce we whipped up from sundried tomatoes, lemon juice and zest, garlic and olive oil.

It was a totally divine day with my boys and our friends, and for that, I am truly thankful.

On this special day, I am also so, so, so truly thankful for my wonderful mother, a great mother-in-law, and all the mother figures who have come into my life along the way. I'm a blessed girl!

No comments: