Thursday, May 26, 2011

NYR 5-26-11 - when one thing leads to another

Today my friend Cammy and I had our usual Thursday joint tennis class. When I got dressed for tennis, it was sunny and absolutely beautiful. I wore shorts and a tank top with a t-shirt on top that I planned to strip off when I warmed up.

Except as soon as we got in the car to go to tennis, it started spitting rain. We're hearty girls and a little spitting rain doesn't scare us off the court.

Except that by the time we got to the court, it was raining pretty hard.

We tried to wait out the rain but finally decided that we hearty girls could play in the pretty hard rain.

That lasted about 5 minutes before I was freezing.

I went back under the cover while Cammy played for about 5 more minutes before the coach called it.

We ended up talking for over an hour while we waited for the rain to abate. The conversation wandered from our coach's history to the fact that Cammy hasn't been to Cartagena once since she's lived here. We decided that there were no free weekends left to travel to Cartagena before they leave the country for good but there was no reason why we couldn't go during the week, just us girls. Since we were pipe dreaming, we may as well pipe dream big, right?

Finally when I could stand the cold no longer and my lips were blue, the three of us made a dash down the hill and out the gate to the car where the car thermometer said it was 52 degrees. A teensy bit chilly out there in the rain in shorts and a t-shirt.

After I got home, showered until the hot water ran out and dressed like I was going snowskiing, I started researching a Cartagena trip.

And guess what? Cammy and I are going next week for a little girls' getaway. Just one night, but we'll have plenty of time to sit by the pool at the Santa Clara and eat that yummy hotel breakfast there that is really to die for.

Had we not been rained out, and had we not sat around in the freezing cold for an hour and half and dreamed of sunnier places, and had there not been a decent enough deal on airline tickets, we would not be going to Cartagena next week.

For one not-so-good thing leading to a really great thing, I am truly thankful.

No comments: