Wednesday, May 18, 2011

NYR 5-17-11 - doozy of a Tuesday

I don't know why Tuesdays are so awful in our house. The day goes along just peachy, and then Mac gets home from school and it all falls apart. I'm thinking that on Monday, he's tired when he has to get up so early but he's still got some weekend reserves in the tank so we don't have drama. But by Tuesday, holy Batman, the tank is empty and it all falls apart.

I was hopeful that yesterday afternoon was different. Mac came home in a decent mood and he was happy to go get a haircut. We did homework, had a great time bantering, and it was just all going along so smoothly.

Since Jimmy wasn't getting home until late, I told him we'd eat supper in front of television, which is a rare treat here.

And then he saw that I'd made this Mexican dish that I'd dared to put corn and beans in (per the recipe) and you'd have thought that there were live roaches crawling through the dinner for the disgust that he exhibited. I told him he could pick out the beans and corn - no big deal.

I then heard something along these lines, at the top of his upset voice:
"My day has been perfect up until now, school was perfect, and then I had to come home and deal with this. You've just ruined everything."

Well alrighty then.

I'm sure our neighbors wondered what in the world was going on. Nothing to see here, people. Just another blissful Tuesday evening at Casa Story.

I stuck to my guns and said he had to taste it or he could go to bed hungry. And that for bad behavior and speaking disrespectfully to me, he would not be allowed to eat in front of the tv.

More drama. Sigh.

He ate a little plateful and shockingly, it didn't kill him (and he even admitted that it tasted good, sans corn and beans). Then he made himself two cheese quesadillas in the microwave and called it a done deal. He apologized and cleaned the table up without being asked.

He took a shower and was in the bed at 6:45pm and asleep by 7:15pm.

For being able to close the chapter of yet another bad Tuesday, I am truly thankful.

No comments: