Thursday, May 5, 2011

NYR 5-4-11 - happy birthdays

Today was a friend's birthday and for her birthday present, I took her for a manicure. The place we went was kind of strange. It used to be a mens-only salon with some weirdness going on, but I got a gift card from there for my birthday and learned that it now takes women (even though its name is still Macho's. Weird, I say.).

Anyway, we went and had wonderful manicures. Women here wear lots of dark fingernail polish. Not cherry red-based, more brown or purple-based (to my untrained, unartistic eye). I decided to go native and chose a polish that looks like it could be fresh blood. It's kind of growing on me and I find myself staring at my nails for extended periods of time, which is not normal behavior for me. They're like extreme sports fingernails for me - very startling when they catch me by surprise.

After manicures, we met the rest of the gang for lunch at a French cafe where I had divine French onion soup.

I love birthdays, even when they're not mine. For getting to celebrate all kinds of birthdays with all kinds of people, I am truly thankful.

No comments: