Monday, May 30, 2011

NYR 5-27-11 - digging in the dirt

When we first moved into our apartment - and didn't have our car yet - I paid an absolute fortune buying plants from the plant nursery truck that roams the city. Jimmy was hosting a VIP work party and I was not going to be embarrassed by an empty terrace. The truck came, we bought a few biggish plants and practically had to sell a kidney to cover the bill.

I had two of the most gorgeous, most humongous hydrangeas you've ever seen.

And then they got some mold disease. After researching on the internet, I cut the plants all the way back and was so happy when they came back.

They got leafy and bushy quite quickly. One of the hydrangeas even bloomed.

And then that pesky mold came back. The leaves were gray and spotted and the plants looked awful.

I was done with my beautiful hydrangeas, even if they cost a small fortune.

So on Friday, I went to a nursery near Mac's school and bought red hibiscus to replace the hydrangeas. Right now they're beautiful and hopefully they'll avoid the awful fungus. There are lots of unopened buds and I can't wait to see the plants in full bloom.

For digging in the dirt to plant these gorgeous tropical plants, I am truly thankful.

No comments: