Monday, May 16, 2011

NYR 5-16-11 - table manners

Jimmy's on an overnight work trip so Mac and I rummaged through the fridge to find leftovers. He was offered spaghetti but said he'd rather have chicken noodle soup (out of the can but heated), so that's what he got. I heated up leftover chicken wings from Saturday's dinner and mashed potatoes from Friday's dinner, added some raw carrots and called it dinner.

While I was eating my chicken wings, Mac said "Mom, what is wrong with you?" I asked what he meant. He apparently thought I was eating too messily - they were chicken wings that were finger-licking messy goodness, after all - because he said "this is dinner, not a disgusting eating contest."

This from the boy who was slurping noodles out of his bowl. Do you see the irony here?

(And anybody who knows my mother knows that I have impeccable table manners. I was eating chicken wings as they were meant to be eaten.)

But for my boy thinking he can one-up me in the table manners department, I am truly thankful (for the laugh).

No comments: