Sunday, January 2, 2011

the work party lechona

On Wednesday night, we hosted a work party and Jimmy ordered a Colombian lechona for the event. I understood lechona to be like pulled pork (sort of), but I was really wrong in how it's presented. It's not your southern pig pickin', that's for sure.

The caterer delivered it and I took a quick peek before Jimmy got home (namely because the smell was driving me crazy in a good way). I thought there might be a way to sneak a taste before the party started, but this pig was locked up tight. They basically take a big sheet of crunchy pork skin - chicharron - and wrap it around a mixture of rice, beans, and pulled pork. You literally have to crack through the skin to get started eating on this thing. Let me tell you that it was yummmmmmmmy. (If you order it for enough people, the pig comes complete with a head. We ordered lechona for just 40 people which is thankfully too small to come with the head).


I present my friend, the pig, aka the lechona


How many State Department employees does it take to cut open and up a lechona?

No comments: