Saturday, January 1, 2011

NYR 1-1-11

Today Jimmy and I hosted our traditional SC Lowcountry New Year's Day meal for friends here in Bogota. It was a really mixed group of people from different US agencies at the embassy as well as one Colombian couple - most of whom didn't know each other all that well - and I HAD SO MUCH FUN!

For me, Bogota has been a really tough place to meet and connect with people with whom we share common interests and/or really want to be around. So to spend hours with people whose company I truly enjoyed was a real blessing and one for which I am truly thankful.

P.S. There are no collard greens in Bogota. For those of you from the SC Lowcountry, you know that you have to eat collard greens on New Year's Day to bring you money in the new year. We ate sauteed spinach tonight, and we're hoping it does the same thing.

P.P.S. In Colombia, you're supposed to wear yellow underwear on New Year's Eve to bring you wealth in the coming year. I did not wear yellow underwear as I do not own yellow underwear, so I'm really hoping that spinach works.

P.P.P.S. Colombia is full of superstitions around the new year in addition to the yellow underwear. If you want to travel in the coming year, you're supposed to go out at midnight and pull a suitcase around the block. Supposedly the faster you go, the more you'll travel. For good luck or either prosperity (I've heard both), you're supposed to carry 12 lentils in your pocket (I don't know for how long). They also eat 12 grapes at midnight and make a wish as they eat each one. Just some things to ponder as you contemplate the new year...

No comments: