Tuesday, January 18, 2011

NYR 1-18-11 and a glass half empty

This New Year's Resolution thing is making every day a glass-half-full sort of day, and today really wasn't a glass-half-full kind of day.

We started the day at the embassy's health unit as we had been instructed to return with Mac when we got back from vacation to make sure his sinus infection/cough were better. The health unit normally opens at 8 so we were there promptly at 8 (because school started back today and the boy needed to be in school. Or maybe the boy's mom needed the boy to be in school. Whatever.)

Since yesterday was a holiday, the normally scheduled Monday staff meeting for the health unit folks was held today. Which meant they didn't open until 8:30. Which I didn't know until we got there at 8am. Okay. That gave Mac and me a few minutes to load some boxes in the car. (On a happy note, the new quilts for Mac's bedroom, new firm pillows for me, and Mac's Christmas gift card-ordered Legos arrived during our vacation.)

Mac was finally seen around 8:45. The respiratory crud continues. So after enduring a long breathing treatment and purchasing prescriptions for another round of a different antibiotic, a nasal spray and Claritin-D (to go along with his inhaler that we never use but now are using every 4 hours), Mac finally got to school close to 11:00. My next few hours were spent running errands to catch up on life after being away for awhile. And then to top it all off, I think the power cord died for my laptop died tonight. Now I've got to order another one and wait for it to get here before I can watch my three downloaded episodes of "Brothers and Sisters". BOOOOOOOO on that.

Definitely a half-glass-empty sort of feeling today. Maybe just post-vacation blues?

I guess what I'm most thankful for today is that we have our car here (which I had to fill up with gas today for just the second time here). Today's doctor visit and errand-running and school-dropping-off weren't nearly as onerous as they could have been had we had to deal with a taxi for all those to and fro's. So for the ability to drive myself around in my own car, I am truly thankful.

No comments: