Sunday, January 23, 2011

a malfunctioning Wii Fit?

Jimmy and Mac gave me - at my months-long request - Wii Fit for Christmas. I hadn't opened it yet because of holiday rigamarole, vacation, etc, but let's be honest. Wii Fit is a commitment. It tracks what you do and what you don't do, it makes you set goals, and it's really exercise in an entertainment package. In other words, it might have been better in theory than in practice.

All that aside, Jimmy opened it yesterday and got it all set up. Then we each had to do a little body test so we could get a Wii age. So I stepped on that board thing that comes with it, got my weight and BMI measured, and then had to do this little balancing exercise. Then I got the results.

Well guess what that stupid thing told me my age was?

54!

Are you kidding me? It told me I needed to gain 15 pounds to be at my ideal weight and my BMI was on the low end of normal, but because I couldn't balance right on that stupid board, I was 54?!?!?!?

Does it not know that I am an experienced Segway rider and that requires substantial balance?

So I did the body test today in an effort to get my "age" down. My weight and BMI were the exact same as yesterday but today's test was for peripheral vision, which Wii Fit informed me afterwards "didn't appear to my strong suit" or some such nonsense.

In any event, Wii Fit must not place as much importance on peripheral vision as on balance because my new Wii age is now 40. Which would be great if it were after April and I were actually 40.

I hope tomorrow's body test is lazing on the couch because I know I can ace that. Maybe I'll get a teenager age after that test.

No comments: