Saturday, June 4, 2011

NYR 6-3-11 - I love Mac's school

This morning, I attended an annual meeting at CGB where the principal and the head of the primary school talk about the achievement of the school's goals for the current year and what next year's goals are.

There's such an emphasis on developing critical thinking skills at CGB and I LOVE THAT. Mac gets to do all these open-ended assignments expressly for the purpose of developing his thinking skills. It's not just worksheets and rote memorization.

Jimmy and I discuss all the time that we're pretty sure we didn't get to do any open-ended assignments until high school when we took AP classes. Mac's brain is going to be so much sharper than we could have ever dreamed for ourselves or even him.

Of course, the downside of this is that we'll lose every argument we ever have with him, but we'll cross that bridge later.

For never once questioning our choice of school here in Bogota, I am truly thankful.

No comments: