Sunday, June 12, 2011

NYR 6-10-11 - violin concert survival


Mac is tallest boy closest to the front


As much as I want to be the Tiger Mother, I am not.

Mac is supposed to practice the violin 15 minutes a day (or maybe it's supposed to be 20?), and I don't enforce that.

Because it's painful for everybody involved.

So it was with fear for my child's failure that we went to the music concert at school this morning. Fear because in an 11th hour fit of desperation, I actually made Mac practice the violin a lot in the last week and let's just say that he didn't sound so hot. He blamed it on a bow problem. I blamed it on a lack of parental enforcement of practice.

The beginning violins were the first performers in the 2nd and 3rd grader concert. And I am so pleased to tell you that they pulled off "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and numerous variations without a real hitch. Mac looked great and his bow was always in line with the kids who I know can play the violin well.

Whew. I feel like we dodged a bullet.



Because he was first, I could enjoy the rest of the concert, which included everything from beginning guitars playing "The Girl from Ipanema" to a rousing rendition of "Billie Jean" played on xylophones complete with a human beat box and two girl singers. This was not your mother's 2nd and 3rd grade music concert.

For surviving a year of violin and living to tell the tale, I am truly thankful.

No comments: