Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NYR 6-18-11 - time to bid adieu

After moving around in the Foreign Service for over 13 years now (YIKES!), one thing that I will never get used to is the constant hail and farewell-ing. There are always people coming and going, arriving and leaving. The arriving part I don't mind so much because I find the change energizing, but the leaving - whether it's my own departure or that of good friends - really gets me down.

Jimmy and I grew up in a small town where people stay. There are not a lot of people who move in and once you're there, you pretty much stay there. The kind of place where the regulars know if somebody from off comes into the local breakfast joint. The kind of place where you sit on the same pew in church every Sunday and you know when somebody new comes to church because they sit on an already-claimed pew.

We are now those people who sit on an already-claimed pew in other cities around the world. And even as we go back home in a couple weeks for summer vacation, I already know that I'll have to re-introduce myself to people at the church I grew up in and duck down aisles in the grocery store after seeing somebody who looks vaguely familiar to me but who will have absolutely zero idea of who I am and who will be wondering who the newbie in town is.

But I digress from my original point.

We've been pretty "lucky" over the years to leave post either at the same time or ahead of our closest friends. It really makes the departure so much easier if you're ahead of the curve.

But alas, we're not ahead of the curve this time.

On Saturday night, we hosted a farewell party for our dear friends Cammy and Chuck.

Sigh.



I met Cammy on an embassy field trip back in September and loved her instantly but didn't re-connect with her until October when she invited me to bunco at her house. She's funny, doesn't take herself or anybody else too seriously, and always, always, always makes me laugh. She's been my tennis buddy, my confidante, lunch partner, recipe-sharer, fellow explorer in a new country, and all-around picker-upper when I needed a picker-upper. "What you see is what you get" is one of the many things I love about Cammy. I'm going to miss that girl.

For great friends, wonderful memories, and knowing that we'll meet again, I am truly thankful.

1 comment:

Missy Horvath said...

like, like, super like!! Very true, the Goodwins will be missed :-)