Monday, January 11, 2010

the stars are aligned against me

Today was the appointed return to my cardio tennis class. I didn't appoint this frigid day; the coach did. So I got dressed in all my new cold-weather running gear that I bought last week before the ski trip and went to the class, only to find out that the coach conferred with local tennis clubs and they all have this rule of not playing if the temperature is under 40 degrees. So I was up and dressed for nothing.

So I returned home, disappointed that the tennis class had been postponed because I really enjoy that class (and it's a great workout).

And then I decided I was dressed for cold-weather running, so why not run? After all, the new year isn't getting any newer and I've made that pesky running resolution.

So I came in the back door, dropped off my bag, and went out the front door.

Where I saw ice on the sidewalk. (Remember the frozen water from the neighbor's sprinkler? Well, I now think that's my sprinkler.).

So I stepped on the part of the sidewalk that looked dry.

Can we say invisible ice?

I must have looked like a cartoon character.

One foot slipped out from under me and I put the other one down to try and catch myself and that foot came flying out too. I think both legs were horizontal at some point as I came down for the crash landing.

The good news? I threw my arm out to lessen the impact and only have soreness in my elbow and not my head which I was sure would crack against the sidewalk.

The bad news? I think I'm going to have a serious bruise on my left cheek (of the derriere, not the face) and I think one knee is a little bonked.

I realized I couldn't sit on the ice all day. After all, I wasn't wearing my ski pants. So I picked myself up, turned around and went straight back into the house.

Clearly, it wasn't my day to exercise.

(And I have never been happier to live in one of those new urban developments where they make people park behind their houses instead of in front. I don't think anybody saw me.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if only you had scothguarded your trousers...