Monday, January 4, 2010

baby, it's cold outside!

I'm pretty excited because I figured out how to light my gas fireplace logs yesterday afternoon. And since they're forecasting nightly lows in the 20s for the next 10 days (!!!) and high in only the 40s, I'm hopeful that using the gas logs will help out my electricity bill, which seems abnormally high for this shoebox we're renting, especially considering how low I keep the thermostat set on anyway.

My real concern, however, with this frigid weather is that the Geese of White Gables will decide they need to move to a locale more southern. I have developed an unnatural affection for these birds. I'm not an animal lover, more like an animal tolerator, but I really dig these geese. I'm afraid they're going to decide they're still in Canada and head further south to somewhere warm, like Brazil.

The only highlight of this cold weather - for Mac, at least - is that there's a very slim chance of snow here on Thursday night. Wouldn't it be nice to have a snow day on Friday? And in SC, to have a snow day, really there just needs to be a flake sighting. So hope reigns supreme. If the snow doesn't pan out, my neighbor's sprinkler system is still operating and so this morning in front of our house, we had a small ice skating rink. Mac loves the idea of ice skating, so I'm thinking to just send him out there to slip around and we'll be able to check off "ice skating" from our to-do list.

Needless to say, work on Resolution 2010 has yet to commence. I thought I might go to the sporting goods store today to buy some cold-weather running gear, but quite frankly, it was all I could do to go out ahead of Mac this morning to turn the car on to get it warmed and defrosted, take him to school, go to the grocery store before we starve to death, and come back home to get warmed up. I heard on the Today Show this morning that you're more likely to follow through on your resolutions if, among other things, you watch less than 10 hours of tv a week. Shoot, when it's this cold, all I really want to do is lay on the couch in front of my gas logs and watch tv. I could probably do 10 hours a day. Could that be a resolution? Can there be limiting factors on making resolutions? Like if it's above 60 degrees at the time that I must run, I will run. Otherwise, I'll lay on the couch and watch tv. I'm pretty sure I could guarantee success!

No comments: