Thursday, January 14, 2010

random musings on this Thursday afternoon

1. Do you know how much geese poop?

I was going to join a running group at the local Y because they said it was for experienced and beginner runners. I was all set to go today to start with "Moms on the Run" and then got a long email from the leader answering my questions, about such things as do you run inside or outside (you have to dress appropriately) and was it really okay for beginners.

The email explained that some of the moms are marathoners who are trying to get back into marathon shape, so they regularly run 10+ miles on these runs, but that there were other people who only ran 3-6 miles.

Ummm. 3-6 miles? Are those the beginners?

So do you have anything for whatever is lower than beginners?

I decided I wasn't up to running with these Moms. So I started my own program today. The neighborhood where we live has wonderful paved bike paths all through the place. Someone told me there are 5 miles worth of trails. I don't know that and I surely didn't see 5 miles of trails today. I did a pathetic little run/walk combo that would have been the envy of some geriatric person who is mobile only with assistance from a walker. But I did it and that's the main thing.

Now on to the goose poop. There are a lot of ponds in this development and the Geese of White Gables must move around to use all the ponds. And they apparently use the bike paths surrounding the ponds as their port-o-lets. I've never seen so much goose poop. You really had to be vigilant to avoid stepping in it.

2. I made butternut squash soup for the first time today and it was delicious. I don't know why making homemade soup intimidates me, but from start to finish, it took an hour and now I have all these bowls of yummy soup in my freezer.

3. My absolute favorite orange juice (if I have to buy it in a bottle)? Tropicana Pure Valencia with Pulp

When you live in a place like Brazil where you can order the most delicious fresh-squeezed orange juice at literally any restaurant, sandwich shop or fine dining establishment, it's a rude awakening to return to processed orange juice.

So imagine my delight when I found this stuff. It's the closest to fresh that I've ever tasted without cutting and squeezing the oranges myself. At $4.49 a bottle, it
can get a little expensive when you guzzle glass after glass as I have been doing (I tell myself it's for the extra Vitamin C to ward off colds). I figure I better drink as much of it as I can stomach right now because with the damage to the orange groves in Florida due to freezing temperatures, it'll probably cost $16 a bottle sooner rather than later.

No comments: