Sunday, January 3, 2010

some things are just better in theory

For his November birthday, Mac asked Bubby for a pottery wheel that he'd seen in a kids' toy magazine. As I am not the least bit artsy, I was so pleased that Mac picked this out that I wholeheartedly, but foolishly, endorsed it.

I have successfully put off opening the box until today. After church, Mac and I went to Middleton Place on our "Be a Tourist in Your Own Town" ticket and there was a potter who took entirely too much time explaining to Mac the intricacies of throwing your own pots. (We were among the handful of people with rocks in their heads who thought it would be fun to tour the stable yards and gardens when the pre-windchill temperature was 36 degrees, so the potter had plenty o' time on his hands.)

Needless to say, Mac thought that going home to try out his pottery set would be a good idea. And I, in the interest of capturing Mother of the Year 2010, said okay.

I mixed the clay, read the instructions, and away Mac went. It wasn't nearly as easy as it sounded in the instruction booklet. Mac got frustrated, and I got antsy about him slinging wet, muddy hands around the dining room. He decided he just wanted a little teeny bowl/pot. In all fairness, we tried to raise the walls of the bowl up once and the whole thing collapsed. Did I mention Mac got frustrated and I got antsy about him slinging wet, muddy hands around the dining room?

We then prepared to remove the pot from the wheel. The clay cutting string that is included in the package is all knotted up and I lost patience trying to untangle it. So we used the old standby, dental floss, to detach it from the top of the wheel. When we tried to lift it off, it was awfully wet, so we're just letting it dry for awhile before trying again.



We're taking orders for next Christmas for original pottery. I'd put my order in early if I were you as I am sure the demand is going to be HIGH!

No comments: