Monday, January 25, 2010

i. hate. running.

This morning I talked to Jimmy and he asked me how the running was going. Doesn't he know proper telephone etiquette when phoning your spouse from Afghanistan? You do not ask about things that induce stress. You ask if the flowers are still alive that you sent last week because you were just getting ready to hit Pro Flowers on your speed dial to order more. Then he went on to tell me that I had spurred him on to run and he'd just finished a 4-mile run.

Dump me in a war zone with no movie theaters or Target or Starbucks and maybe I'd take up running too.

But I felt guilty.

And I hate feeling guilty.

So after Mac finished his homework, he got on his scooter and I got on my big girl pants and we went out to exercise. It was enjoyable to be outside together and Mac was patient to wait for me while I was huffing and puffing along. I didn't even mind so much hitting the 50 mph headwind on the run back home because my boy and I were having a good time. But between you and me, I was awfully glad to see his friend Zachary riding his bicycle to find Mac so they could play. Surely as the Madre del Año, I shouldn't be off gallivanting around the neighborhood in my running shoes while my boy is in the backyard playing with a friend, right?

(And yes, I did download the Spanish program today. Were you impressed by my bilingual posting? I haven't actually done any studying yet and I had to google how to translate "of the year", but at least I knew the Madre part right off the top of my head. Muy inteligente.)

No comments: