Tuesday, April 26, 2011

NYR 4-25-11 - the worst tennis lesson in history

I really am meant to live at sea level. I love being able to take deep breaths and feeling like my lungs are completely full. I love running around on the beach, playing paddle ball, and never gasping for air.

Needless to say, living at 8500 feet is not my cup of tea.

Coming back after 2 weeks away at sea level STINKS. (Coming back to this altitude stinks, not just coming back in general. I am happy to be back home.)

Today I had my first tennis class in more than two weeks and it was miserable from start to finish. For starters, I couldn't catch my breath. For seconds, I couldn't hit the ball. I'm sure this is a direct result of a lack of oxygen to my brain; the synapses were unable to fire to make my brain tell my arm to swing the racquet at the right moment.

It honestly was, I'm sure, the single worst tennis class in the history of tennis classes all over the world.

There was one point where I wanted to cry.

Seriously.

It was that bad.

And I'm going back for more punishment tomorrow.

For the ability to play tennis, even poorly, at 8500 feet without collapsing into a big heap, I am truly thankful.

No comments: