Friday, April 1, 2011

NYR 3-28-11 - another day, another dollar (spent)

When the outbound trip got so bungled, we decided we'd spend an extra day in SC to make up for the day we lost in Miami. So today, Jimmy spent the day with his mom and Mac, and my mom and I went shopping and out for lunch.

While we were eating lunch, Mom's cell phone rang. She wasn't going to answer it because it was an unknown 800 number, but I insisted.

Turns out it was an American Airlines automated call, telling us that our new flight on Tuesday was cancelled but that we were confirmed for flights on Wednesday.

Are.you.kidding.me?

We came home and I called American to see if we could be re-routed any other way. I got one of the three nice people who work for American Airlines on the phone. She checked all our alternatives (even flying from New York to Lima to Bogota), but everything was booked solid because there were so many people from the past few days already rebooked on these flights.

I had to send Mac's teacher an email to tell him that we were stuck and to please not let them kick Mac out of school because of unexcused absences.

And since we didn't have to go to bed early to get up at the crack of dawn for an early Tuesday morning flight, Mac went back to Jimmy's mom's to spend the night and Jimmy, Mom, and I went to see "The Adjustment Bureau" and to eat wings at The Kickin' Chicken.

For some QT with my mom and for a night at the movies, I'm truly thankful.

No comments: