Friday, January 3, 2014

NYR 1-3-14


1.  We pay what I think is an exorbitant monthly fee to park our car in the garage of the building where we pay what I think is an exorbitant monthly rent to live here.  

However, on mornings like today, when Mac and I decided to run errands on his snow day, and the temperature at 11:45am was 22 with a windchill temperature of 1 degree, I decided what we pay is just about perfect. 

I got in a car today that was relatively warm and best of all?  I didn't have to thaw out my car, wipe off snow, or scrape ice, like these poor car owners had to do at some point:




Today I am especially thankful for covered garage parking, no matter the cost. 

2. I have never owned snow boots in my life.  Even when we lived in Baltimore, where it most assuredly snowed and where I most assuredly shoveled snow, I didn't own snow boots.  I have no idea why that is.  Mac was little then and I guess we didn't go out much when it snowed.  The one time we took Mac sledding, he wore yellow rain boots.  Classy. I know people thought we were negligent to not have a toddler in warm snow boots, but I'm sure we put two pairs of socks on his little feet to keep him warm.  We are, after all, the people who used to Scotchguard our jeans before going on the annual church youth group ski trip.  We are cold weather morons. Scotchguarding jeans works nearly as well as wearing two pairs of socks inside rain boots.  Morons.

Fast forward 8 years and we're in a snow-producing area again. I went out and bought myself some cheap snow boots as soon as the snow started falling.  They are not very pretty but they're decently warm and that's good enough for me.

Mac has been wearing his hiking boots in the snow up until now.  Last night after playing in the snow, he pointed out what looked like a seam issue to me.  This morning, upon closer inspection, I realized there was actually a hole in the boot.  
He was desperate to play in the snow right then, so I did what any cold weather moron would do:  I wrapped his socked foot in kitchen plastic wrap and we slid his protected foot inside the holey boot.  Morons.

We bought him very fancy snow boots this afternoon and he's worn them outside now two times to play in the snow and he's declared them perfect.  And they're so big that I can wear them when he outgrows them. 

For warm feet in very cold and snowy weather, I am so thankful.

1 comment:

sheena said...

My advice (not that you asked for it, but anyway...) is to buy some BOGS - they are waterproof and very warm. They slip on and off super-easily, too. You and Mac can get some. http://www.bogsfootwear.ca/shop/index.html?source=US/

And, your description of your "winter clothes" while growing up made me laugh out loud. We had similar winter clothes in Southern California!
-sheena