Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hawaii - Day 4

We started our day early today with a somber trip to Pearl Harbor where we were lucky enough to meet two Pearl Harbor survivors who are now 91 and 92 years old. Really amazing.



After Pearl Harbor, we headed back to the North Shore to do a little hiking in the Waimea Valley. This botanical garden is so lush and beautiful - Jimmy and Mac were rewarded for their hard hiking efforts with a dip in the waterfall pool.

It should come as no surprise that we went back to Bluewater for another lunch today. (We did ask employees at Waimea Valley where the nearest, best food truck was and they sent us to Bluewater, even though it was a town over.)

After our late lunch, we set out to find the big waves that were forecast for today alone as part of some crazy storm. The North Shore was expected to have 30-foot waves (that's on the face of the wave). We went to Ehukai Beach (where we'd been the day before to see huge waves) but then backtracked to Waimea Beach where there were dozen of surfers in the water waiting to catch the perfect wave. I think they all had some screws loose for getting out in water like that, but who I am to judge. According to this one crazy dude that my mom chatted with while we were watching (along with hundreds of other people who had the same idea), this is the hangout spot of Bethany Hamilton, Kelly Slater and similarly famous surfer types.




I am totally captivated by this surfing business. Now I need to figure out how to make a few million dollars so I can buy my ocean-front house on the North Shore. Then I can park my food truck on the beach side, sell to the beach crowd and pay off my mortgage. I am looking for investors if you're interested.

No comments: