Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hawaii - Day 3

We went to the North Shore town of Haleiwa today to go on catamaran trip to look for migrating humpback whales. Haleiwa is this very cool, old surfing town. We got to town early and decided to partake of the famous Hawaii shave (not shaved) ice from the famous Haleiwa landmark, Matsumoto.

The whale-watching trip did not disappoint. Jimmy's "money shots" of the two whales we followed:


After we got off the boat, we started in earnest Jimmy's quest to eat lunch from a shrimp truck every day we're on vacation. Everybody told us to eat at Bluewater Shrimp and Seafood Co ("by the 76 gas station") and oh my, was it good. I have decided in retirement, I'm going to figure out how to have one of these trucks. And I am going to serve this garlic shrimp with this garlicky sauce and two scoops of rice and a tossed salad. But I will charge more than the little bit of money Bluewater charged because I don't see how he makes any money.


Good food + good whale-spotting + cool beach towns = great day in Hawaii

No comments: