Thursday, September 15, 2011

NYR 9-7-11 - job interviews

The state of my recent unpleasantness has been because of a job situation. I interviewed for a job, was offered a job, was later told the interview had been contested (by my competitor) because of "unfair" interviewing practices, re-interviewed in what was the singularly worst interview experience of my 18-year professional experience, and spent nearly a week feeling sorry for myself and knowing I wasn't going to be re-offered the job that I'd already been offered.

Major funkdom.

And then last week I was re-offered the job.

But you know that awful part of you (speaking hypothetically of you because I'm really talking about myself here) that has to know whether they offered it to the other woman first and she turned it down and so now they're offering it to me, I mean you? Where you have to know all the details before you can make a decision? Well that awful part was pretty much leading the charge and I could not bring myself to take the job (again) without knowing the answer.

So I met with someone in HR today and found out the scoop. And yes, the other woman was offered the job the second time around. So that was a kick in the head. But I learned there was more to the story than what I perceived as a blow to me.

For reassurance and a vote of confidence, I am truly thankful.

No comments: