Thursday, September 15, 2011

NYR 9-5-11 - Labor Day

On this Labor Day holiday, which Mac also had off for a teacher workday, we decided to drive out to Guatavita to enjoy a beautiful non-Colombian holiday visit. After getting stuck in a terrible traffic jam caused by a three-TransMilenio (the enormous bus system here) pile-up, we finally arrived in Guatavita 2.5 hours later to find that they're closed on Mondays.

Bummer.

Well, really it was a bummer for Jimmy most of all because Mac went to Guatavita on his overnight school trip and I went for my 40th birthday. So Jimmy's the only one who doesn't know what he's missing. Which actually should mean it's less of a bummer for him than for Mac and me because we know how beautiful it really is.

But never mind.

We drove back a different route and stopped at our favorite empanada/pan de yucca place in La Calera to refuel.

But most importantly - for me - was that we stopped at two great plant nurseries and bought the necessary supplies for my little bamboo trellis that I wanted to make and plant with some trailing plants.

As you know, our building now has next-door neighbors (the famous Rackosaurus) and when we're outside using our terrace, the neighbors can and do stare right in from their kitchen. I explored some different options for covering up that side of the terrace.

I thought a nice bamboo screen would be nice.

You know those bamboo screens you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot for $70?

Yeah, well they don't sell those here.

So then one of Jimmy's drivers contacted a bamboo supplier somewhere out in the country who could make me a bamboo screen to fit my specs, but it was going to be astronomically expensive. Plus I was meeting some resistance from our building administrator who I had to get permission from to put up a screen (which she obviously thought was going to be a wall).

So I did the next best thing. I bought some bamboo pieces which we lashed together and put into pots. I LOVE it. I don't think anybody in my house is nearly as fanatical as I am about it but I know once my plants grow (some trailing plant with little white and yellow flowers) and cover the bamboo, it's going to be a beautiful screen against Rackosaurus's kitchen and her staff of maids and nannies who are always staring at us.

Stick with me, ye people of little faith, it's going to be phenomenal.

One day.

The starter picture:

No comments: