Friday, September 2, 2011

NYR 8-31-11 - the funk cloud has lifted

I will get into detail later why I have been living under a funk cloud since Friday, but I really fell down the rabbit hole of pity partydom. I had lots of encouragement to get out, but I just needed to wallow a bit more.

This morning I went to a kickbox class at a friend's house with an instructor who might be the devil. The class started at 6:30am, which suited me because I'd rather get that hateful little thing called exercise out of the way earlier rather than later. Heavens to sweet Betsy, did he make everything hurt.

After class I hobbled the 6 or 8 blocks back home and did what I never, ever do.

I took a short nap.

I didn't even shower first.

I plopped on the couch with my Kindle and the next thing I knew, an hour had passed and Ruth was coming in and I had to jump up on my aching legs to act like I'd been curing cancer instead of lounging the day away.

And when I woke up, I felt better.

Not physically because everything hurt like the devil himself had beaten me.

But emotionally, I felt strong and healthy and confident. I knew that everything was okay. It was like the black cloud that was hovering over me just got sucked away during that hour of rest. Really nothing short of a miracle.

I got up, showered, and went to meet a friend for coffee. Unbeknownst to me, this friend also had had a bad week and she had also taken a very atypical nap this morning and had started to feel better herself. We had such a great visit and I left feeling even better and stronger.

For the healing benefits of naps and good friends, I am ever so truly thankful.

No comments: