Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday musings

1. I got my first haircut in Bogota yesterday and I love it, even though it's a lot shorter than it's been. Mac told me it looked horrible - stab to the heart - when he got home but Jimmy said he loved it. Even if he was fibbing, I'm sticking with the big guy's opinion.

2. It's very difficult, perhaps even traumatic, to get your hair cut when you don't really speak the language. This salon is small and even though I was speaking Spanish - albeit awful Spanish - everybody thought that English would be the only thing that came out of my mouth so they assumed they couldn't understand me. I hate that.

3. Today I'm going on a field trip to a pottery factory followed by lunch with some other people from the embassy.

4. I've now heard that we might take delivery of our sea shipment by late next week. I also just found out that there is no record of our sea shipment that was sent from long-term storage in Washington. We're working on finding out more on that today. I also also found out that our car has made it to the port in Cartagena and paperwork is being processed for us to get the car. That should take awhile though.

5. Mac is attending his first Colombian birthday party Friday afternoon after school. A bus is taking the children from school to the party place and I just have to show up at 5pm to bring him home. I love these kinds of parties.

6. Ruth kept Mac last night while Jimmy and I went out for dinner. Although I've told her repeatedly not to hand wash the dirty dishes in the dishwasher (since I run it every night), she clearly believes the dishwasher is nothing more than a holding facility for dirty dishes until you have time to wash them. The dishwasher was full of dirty dishes when we left, but when we came home, they were all washed, dried and put away. That and her calling me Senora all the time when I've repeatedly told her not to are the only faults I can find, so I can live with that. But woman, let the dishwasher do its job.

7. I'm in season three of Lost. Still addicted, still loving it.

8. Mac doesn't have a regular homework schedule at his current school. He's supposed to read everyday, he had one Spanish sheet last week and there's a weekly spelling test. The big assignment every week is an assigned topic "project" in this big folder. Each student can do whatever he wants on two pages of the folder and then he presents it to the class. Last week was "who is my family?" so Mac did a word search game of different people in our family on one page and on the other, a list of the names in the word search along with out-of-order photos of those people that you had to match up. Two games for the price of one. This week is "who were the ancient Egyptians?". We've got maps, pictures of the Pyramids and a sarcophagus, and "Mac" written in hieroglyphics. I feel like we're doing a science fair project every week!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Noah had weekly health projects last year. I loathed them more than he did.