Monday, March 8, 2010

that wretched 24-hour vomit-free rule

I am pleased to report that Mac is 100% better today. The last vomiting episode was at 12:30 yesterday afternoon. Keeping in mind that rule about not sending your child back to school until they have been symptom-free for 24 hours, he is home with me today.

And it will be a miracle if we both survive the day with our wits about us.

Knowing that we didn't have to set the alarm clock this morning, I stayed up late to doze through the Oscars. So imagine my surprise when Mac bounded out of the bed at 7:30am and told me that he felt Guhhhh-REAT! (Use your best Tony the Tiger impersonation there and you'll get how he sounded.)

I sent him downstairs to watch tv so I could sleep more, but got up shortly thereafter because I couldn't go back to sleep. I was having a really distressing dream where I was having a dinner party and was serving some Indian-inspired meal and I couldn't decide what vegetable to serve. I like to eat Indian food, but never cook it at home and I'm pretty sure the pre-wake-up vegetable (roasted caulifower) was not authentic. I wanted to go back to sleep to find the right vegetable but I couldn't make it happen.

So I got up and was quickly reminded that I promised we could set up the newly purchased tent today. Now I had in mind a backyard set-up, so I told Mac it was 40 degrees outside and we needed to wait until it warmed up. He got the tape measure and told me we had just enough space to set it up in the living room if we moved all the furniture.

Now this tent is 10'x9'. It's a 6-person number because in the event that I ever get hoodwinked into having to sleep in it, I don't want all of us on top of each other. The box showed room for two queen-size air mattresses, which seemed suitable to me.

Our living room, once you cut off the unusable angles, is about 10.5'x9.5'.

In an effort to resurrect my MOTY nomination, the tent is up. I do not want to hear Jimmy complain about setting this thing up in the wide open spaces because I got it up in a tight space with the assistance of an over-eager 7 year-old.

No comments: