Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jersey Mike and me

Today I had to run to Charleston and knew I'd be back in Summerville by lunch time. My appetite is back in full swing, so I weighed my options on the 30-minute ride and decided I'd really like a good sub. I have had subs on the brain since I saw the guy eat a Subway Veggie Delite on The Biggest Loser the other night.

I should have just gone to get the Veggie Delite - after all, Jillian said it met the caloric and fat content of The Biggest Loser contestants, so surely it fits my caloric and fat requirements.

But I decided to go to Jersey Mike's instead. Big mistake for somebody who might want, I don't know, some vegetables maybe on the sandwich?

Their veggie sandwich has provolone, swiss and green peppers.

No, I am not kidding.

Guess how many thin little green pepper rings they put on a 6-inch sub? TWO.

Now, I am not kidding again.

When I saw two pepper rings laying on 6 slices of cheese, I told the guy he had to be kidding me. This was a veggie sub and he put 2 pepper rings on it?

He told me that was how they made veggie subs, but I could certainly have more if I wanted. I said I did, and he put two more thin rings on. Whoa. He really splashed out. He said not everybody liked green peppers. To which I asked why would anybody order a veggie sub that lists 3 ingredients, with only one being an actual vegetable if they don't like the vegetable that's listed? Wouldn't they just order a cheese sub?

And while Subway has cucumbers and olives and all these other yummy, healthy things to put on the sub, Jersey Mike's has lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.

Big disappointment.

Plus Subway has way better bread choices.

So after this failed lunch experiment, I will remain a Subway gal from now on. Jersey Mike is now a distant memory; I'm sticking with Jared and Jillian.

No comments: