Monday, March 1, 2010

teeth

I called the pediatric dentist at 8:18 this morning, 18 minutes past the time I'd appointed, but I was in the Publix with bad cell reception, so I had to wait. I spoke to the cheerful receptionist who acted like children have double fangs growing out of their mouths all the time and she scheduled us for Wednesday morning at 8:40am.

WEDNESDAY?

But that's two full days away, I said.

To which she said, two more days really won't matter. (I think that was a slam against my maternal negligence.)

Seriously, she said that this is a common problem. I haven't read many parenting books since "What to Expect in Baby's First Year", but is this really that common? Do a lot of kids really grow buck canine teeth?

The receptionist told me I should wiggle the baby tooth as much as possible between now and Wednesday. I told her that I really wasn't anxious to pull that tooth out because the permanent tooth appeared to be coming in at such an awkward angle and I wanted the dentist to pull the baby tooth and try to get that permanent tooth wiggled back into the right spot all at the same time. I cringe at the mere thought of all that dental stuff going on and I very nearly vomit when I think of me having to do all of that dental stuff.

From this point on, I will be doing a tooth check at least weekly until Mac goes to college. If there is a rogue tooth preparing to enter, I will know about it.

1 comment:

Steph J. said...

Hi Susan! How happy for me to rediscover your blog!

Some time ago Stephen turned to us (in church, of course) and said "look Mom, I'm a shark!" He had a double row of bottom teeth. The new ones were so far back that they didn't dissolve the roots of the baby teeth.

We went to the dentist to get them out. A word of advice--stay in the waiting room. Or ask ahead of time to see what works best in their experience. They were super careful not to let Stephen see the huge Novocaine needle and the pliers, but I saw the whole thing and wanted to pass out. The dental staff were cool and matter-of-fact. My presence definitely did not help anything.

Since then, the kid has wiggled out all his other teeth. And when adult teeth were weird or crooked (often) we used a Popsicle stick to push the adult tooth into place, at the advice of the dentist. High tech, eh?

Hugs to you guys,
Steph