Tuesday, September 2, 2014

9-2-14

Today was Mac's first day of 6th grade, which means it was the first day of middle school. 

(Pause in your reading while I wipe the tears away.) 

(After-school photo since I forgot to take one before)

Mac also rode the big yellow school bus to and from school for the first time in his life. Thankfully there's another boy in our building who rides the bus, so even though we barely know this other (new) boy (and he's an 8th grader and may not socialize at school with Mac), at least they had each other for the bus trip. 
(At the bus stop.)

(Boarding the bus)

The deal was that Mac and his new friend could walk home from the bus stop in the afternoon by themselves (about 3 blocks). This was a great plan until about 5 minutes before the bus was due at the stop and I panicked. What if they didn't get off at the right stop?  What if they didn't know where to get off?  All these buildings look the same. I thought about running to the stop but I knew Mac would be so disappointed in me.

So I sat in the front window and waited. I was never so happy as when I saw this:

 

I think Mac saw me in the window, but he refused to acknowledge me. I can live with that. 

Here's hoping to a great, safe, painless, fun school year!

1 comment:

The Stone Rabbit said...

Oh my, I'm just about crying. The big yellow bus is such a big deal. I never realized how scary and exciting that one little thing would be to kids who have not grown up taking a big yellow bus. Sometimes living back in the US is as big of an adventure as living overseas. I'm with you Mamma. It is all so bittersweet, isn't it?