Friday, September 12, 2014

9-11-14

I attended an activities fair at Mac's school this afternoon to get a handle on what after-school activities are available. 
 
had to swim upstream in the hallway to get to the gym where the fair was being held. About a thousand students were heading out of the school as a handful of us parents were trying to get into the school. Here are several observations from my 15 minutes there:

1.  I saw a person who looked like a student and was definitely not a parent who had a 5 o'clock shadow. 

2.  A similar trip down a packed elementary hallway results in a lot of apologies from students who accidentally jostle an adult. Middle schoolers will flat-out run you over and never look back. No apologies. You enter at your own risk.  Middle schoolers are not afraid of adults. 

3.  A middle school hallway at the end of a very hot day smells like a locker room full of used sweaty socks that have been stuffed under adolescent boy armpits in a sauna. I have a very sensitive nose and have now ruled out working at a middle school as a future potential career. 

4. I was shorter than about 65% of the students who passed me in the hallway.  These children are going to be abnormally tall after all their growth spurts. 

5.  Backpacks are too big and stuffed and heavy now. I know this because I got whacked by a couple of them as students turned around too close to me, forgetting they had something sticking an extra foot off their backs. 






No comments: