Sunday, September 14, 2014

9-12-14

Today I used a free pass for doggy day camp for Leo. 

I cannot tell you how hard it was to drop him off and leave him. He looked so sad.  I fed him a calming treat before we left home, but I should've fed myself one. 

Before I left him, the desk lady told me I could call to check in on him. I made myself wait two hours before I called. The guy who answered said Leo was having a great time. But I know how daycare people treat neurotic mothers. They treat us like we're neurotic and they tell us what we want to hear. How did I know Leo really was having fun??

I talked a big game for a week and said I was going to maximize my "free time" with Leo in camp. I made sure Mac had his key so he could let himself in when the bus dropped him off. I was going to a movie (or two!), having a nice lunch somewhere, running all sorts of errands, etc. 

But who was I I kidding?  I left Leo for a grand total of 5 hours and then I just couldn't stand it anymore. 

When I picked him up, I stood outside the glass wall and watched him play with this one other dog. It seemed very rough to me but the attendant in the room didn't seem concerned. I wanted to see if Leo would recognize me once he stopped playing. Finally he stopped and eventually looked out the window. He cocked his head to the side, saw that it really was me and ran right to the window. It did this mama's heart good that he still wanted to come to me after I deserted him off for the day. 

Leo scored well on his Pawgress Report Card and was totally and completely  exhausted after all that nonstop play. 




No comments: