Friday, February 28, 2014

NYR 2-26-14 to 2-28-14

As you may know, I really dislike baking.  I love to cook, but baking?  Not so much.

But after a successful focaccia-baking experience last week, I've been on a baking tear this week.

On Tuesday, I baked two pound cakes for a funeral luncheon at church.  I didn't taste them but they looked beautiful.

On Wednesday, because it was early release and we had allllllll afternoon together, I suggested to Mac that we bake some type of yeast bread. The focaccia has been such a hit that I thought we could make that again together.  Mac's response?  "Mom, there are 7 billion people in the world, and we should all be trying to be different and innovative.  Why would you make something you already know how to make when you could try something different.  Let's make flat bread!"  Ummmmm, okay.  Let's make flat bread.  It was a lot of fun and a little bit messy, but the bread was great. 

I also made the Barefoot Contessa's banana nut muffins that evening to use some bananas that we're going bad.  These are gooooooood and hard to stop at one. They're full of mashed and chunked bananas, nuts and coconut. YUM.  (As a side note, the BC is my most favorite cookbook author and tv cook of all time and she's speaking next week in Washington.  I just got my ticket yesterday and I'm fairly bursting with excitement to hear her live.). (As another aside, I didn't bake on Thursday so we're pretending like I baked the muffins on Thursday so it seems like I baked nearly every day this week.)

Today, I baked dulce de leche brownies to take to a dinner tonight.  It's the first time I've used this recipe, so fingers crossed they taste good.

For successful baking - without any high-altitude adjustments! - I am truly thankful.






No comments: