Monday, February 24, 2014

NYR 2-23-14

1.  The weather - THIS weather - has been incredible. I'm so thankful for this taste of spring and can't wait for the season to arrive in full!

2.  Today Mac had his Little League tryout. Well they don't call it a "tryout", but an evaluation. In front of all the "player agents" who decide on the drafts for the teams.  For Little League.  

Agents. In Little League.  

Really?  

Jimmy tells me this is standard for Little Leagues, but I think it's overkill.  (Don't worry - I kept my opinion to myself at the tryout.)

When Mac last played Little League, he was 7 and in the first grade in South Carolina.  Had we lived in the US since then, he would have continued to play but as it is, he's lost all these years while everyone else his age who started that young has continued to play.  

That paragraph is meant to illustrate why I was very nervous about his tryout.  He loves baseball and I was terrified that if he did poorly, he wouldn't feel the love anymore or even want to play.  I almost sat in the car during the tryout just so I wouldn't have to witness any shortcomings.

But Jimmy was right.  Mac is good at baseball!  The tryout consisted of two rounds of batting three balls each (he hit 5 out of 6), catching 3 grounders and throwing them to first base (he was 3 for 3), catching 3 pop flies and throwing the ball home (he only caught one but acted quickly to get the ball home) and pitching one ball (he pitched in the strike zone but not very hard).  Mac was in a group of about 8 similarly aged boys, none of whom he knew.
(Batting - wearing his USC Beast Mode t-shirt!) 

(Fielding grounders)

(Pitching)

You may have heard a loud sigh of relief from three very happy people when 6pm rolled around and the tryout ended.  Poor Mac told us later that he was very nervous and his legs were shaking. Poor little thing.  

There's one more weekend of tryouts and then I guess they name the teams and practice starts for a few weeks before opening weekend in early April.

For a successful baseball "evaluation", I am truly thankful. 

No comments: