Monday, February 24, 2014

NYR 2-22-14

As I wrote earlier in the week, Mac went on an ice skating field trip with school.  He loved it so much that he asked to go back today.  Jimmy went with us but bowed out of the skating because he's running a half-marathon in a couple weeks and was a little worried about pulling muscles or incurring some greater injury so it was up to me to skate with Mac.

If you're reading this and you grew up in certain parts of the South Carolina Lowcountry in a certain era, you will know the Berchador roller skating rink in Goose Creek.  I spent a lot of Saturday afternoons skating there as a child, and if not there, then around the patio that used to be at my parents' house.  I was pretty sure my mad roller skating skills would translate into a successful figure skating Olympic gold medal if I were just given the chance to ice skate.  Sadly I've only ice skated twice in my 42 years before tonight, so that's why you've never seen me in the Olympics. 

Mac and I went out with the masses of people there for public skate and I was a little intimidated. I held on to the wall for most of the first lap, but then I got my legs under me and really enjoyed it.  In between dodging these little 7 year-old punks who were practicing their hockey skating and the 4-abreast teenaged girls who were barely moving because they were chitchatting so much, I was really not bad. I felt like a kid again at the Berchador, practicing all my skating moves!  And I was at least better than Mac who had to get off the ice about every lap to go to the bathroom or get water or take off his hoodie or rest.  His breaks were just an excuse to get away from me because I was so much better at ice skating than he is and he could not stand it.  

So guess what I've done?

I've signed up for group adult ice skating classes!  

YIKES!  

The classes are a half-hour long, start on Tuesday morning, and run for 7 weeks.  Then I guess I graduate to the next level - Adult 2 - if I want to continue. 

For doing something way outside my comfort zone, I'm truly thankful. Wish me luck!! 

No comments: