Tuesday, February 25, 2014

NYR 2-25-14

1.  For lunch with four lady friends from Bogota, three of whom I've not seen in 1.5 years, I am truly thankful.  The effect on the soul of a good catch-up over a meal cannot be overstated.

2.  This morning I had my first ice skating lesson. There was one other middle-aged woman in the Adult 1 class with me.  She had never been on ice skates until today, so compared to her, I was very advanced. I learned how to swizzle (not to be confused with twizzle, which was a big deal with the Olympic ice dancers), how to squat while skating (maybe that improves balance skills?) and how to stop like an ice hockey player. Except not really.  I lacked the panache of an ice hockey player and am not entirely confident I could stop using this newly acquired skill if I had to.  But I'm going back on Friday for my public skate time so I can practice. I don't want to lose my position as "student who falls the fewest times" next week on lesson 2.  For a great time, for muscles that are a little sore from that squatting and for no broken bones or spills, I am truly thankful.  

No comments: