Friday, February 4, 2011

random musings about camp (aka Camp Part 2)

1. My email buddy from the camp company dropped the ball a little this morning on her updates. She updated at 7:30am when they had breakfast and then did not post anything again for something like 2.5 hours. I probably hit the refresh button about 87 times in that 2.5 hours alone. I almost sent her email to tell her to get with the program but restrained myself.

2. Speaking of breakfast, I don't think Mac liked what he was served.
In the photo above, Mac is sitting on the right side of the back table. I have seen that sullen expression on his face before. It usually precedes a complaint that goes something like this: "why did you make this for breakfast? You know I hate this kind of food. Why didn't you make me peanut butter toast? You know I always eat that for breakfast when you make this disgusting other stuff that I hate."

And then I look across the table at the poor camp counselor who looks like he's trying to convince him to just try it by saying something like "how do you know you don't like scrambled eggs? On your mother's dissertation that she wrote to get you enrolled in camp, she said you hadn't even eaten scrambled eggs since you were a baby. Maybe you like them now."

P.S. Mr. Camp Counselor, if Mac comes home and says he ate scrambled eggs, I'm going to find you and give you a reward.

3. Not that we were speaking of dinner, but here's a photo from last night's dinner:


Dinner was ajiaco, which is the wonderfully rich, filling, delicious Colombian comfort food soup made with a few types of potatoes, chicken and corn. I have found it to be mildly addictive and could eat it all the time.

Mac?

Not so much.

So when I look at this picture, I am pleased that his spoon is actually in the bowl and am hopeful that he's at least picking out the chunks of chicken to eat. I am quite sure the potatoes didn't cross his lips (again, there's a reward involved if they did). But I have prayed over and over that they at least had some bread that he could eat to help fill him up. Otherwise, he went to bed hungry - which is totally acceptable if it's because he won't eat the food that I've prepared, but is not acceptable if they were starving my poor, sweet, innocent baby. Jimmy suggested that maybe I should have sent some granola bars but they were very explicit about not sending any food or candy, so I, as the rule follower, did not send anything to eat. I have a feeling he's going to be starving at the 5:30pm pick-up this afternoon.

(For the record, Mac's food pickiness does drive me crazy and I know he'll eat if he's hungry enough. I just don't want his view of camp to be skewed by bad food if he enjoyed everything else. After all, isn't bad food a requirement of camp the world over???)

4. Of course, I did pack all the things that were on the list. Two changes of clothes, a raincoat, another pair of shoes, socks, etc.

I have studied the pictures from yesterday and today, and that boy has not changed his clothes. He still has on the same pants and the shirt and no doubt the same pair of underwear, too.

Thursday morning photo:(notice the gray dinosaur shirt and black track pants)

Friday morning photo:(notice the gray dinosaur shirt and black track pants)

This is exactly why I hate camping. If it's considered acceptable to wear the same clothes two days in a row, then I don't want any part of it. I bet the seal on the shampoo wasn't broken and if I hadn't seen a photo of some girls brushing their teeth this morning, I might have doubts about whether his teeth have been cleaned. YUCK. He will have nice, long shower tonight to get all the grossness off.

I am really happy that I struggled to get everything stuffed in that backpack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so thankful that Emily sent me the web-site! In the midst of all of our freezing rain/ice, this has truly been the highlight of my last 24 hours! They all are just darling...I just wish the FBI cap had been left somewhere so that I could see the expressions on TJ's face! I cannot wait to hear all of their stories...hope you are planning a big dinner or ordering a large pizza! Thoroughly enjoy your blog-miss all my Bogota family and friends. Suzanne