Tuesday, February 22, 2011

my beloved juicer

I decided that I'm under-utilizing the juice machine we bought with Christmas gift cards.

So today I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of fruit and vegetables. The intention was to cut it all up, refrigerate it and have it handy for making juice at a moment's notice. I can mix and match the fruits as the spirit moves me and make all these exotic juices. (I even looked for wheat germ in the grocery store, even though I have no idea what that looks like or is even called in Spanish) because I thought that sounded like a terribly healthy thing to add to juice.) Not that I would know this from personal experience, but all the magazines say that if you have cut-up carrots and peppers in the fridge, you'll be more apt to eat those instead of, say, a pack of Dorito's so I was thinking that if I could quickly make juice, I would drink that more readily than, say, a Coke Zero.

The first step in this whole process was to sharpen the knife that I intended to use to make fast work of my dicing and slicing. I don't ever sharpen knives but this one looked particularly dull this morning. Unfortunately, instead of making fast work of slicing and dicing fruits and veggies, I made fast work of slicing and dicing my thumb. I'm beginning to get a fat complex about the pads on my thumbs - they must be fat because they keep getting in the way of sharp objects coming through. Good news is that this is a minor cut compared to the September Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But it bled a lot and I decided I'd peel only what I needed for an immediate glass of juice.

So I just juiced together 4 oranges, 2 big carrots, 1/4 of a large papaya, and a kiwi. That made about 4 cups of juice which I drank even though it smelled vaguely of papaya which I don't like.

I feel instantly healthier with all that vitamin-enriched stuff sloshing around in my stomach. I'm also thinking that with all the orange tint I just consumed, I might even look like I've got a perma-glow.

I'm now going to cut up the rest of my fruits and vegetables since I've stanched the flow of blood. Bottoms up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aren't Juicers great? Thanks for the story.