Saturday, February 26, 2011

NYR 2-26-11 - Jimmy's still in Alaska

For happy playdates and friends over for a relaxed dinner in my adult-starved world right now, I am truly thankful.

P.S. Jimmy is still in Alaska after extending his trip by another day. As he sold it to me, he's "only seen the inside of a military base in Anchorage and somebody in his Afghanistan military group lives in Wasilla and he offered him a room at his house and said they could sightsee and it would be a shame to pass up that offer after flying all that way to Alaska to only see a military base in Anchorage."

(And yes, that really was about his email came in. You could almost hear him not taking a breath as he spewed all that out.)

So Mac and I are flying solo one more night. That will bring this trip to a week total. It's been a VERY stressful, VERY emotional week for me and if I can be honest with you, it's ticked me off to have to deal with everything by myself and then to have to relay everything to Jimmy by email because I guess they don't have phones on that military base in Afghanistan.

I have been particularly grateful this week for the listening ears, kind words, and open homes of friends (and their mothers-in-law!) here in Bogota. They've made it all bearable.

No comments: