Wednesday, February 9, 2011

NYR 2-8-11 and worry

I am historically a Class A Worrier. Top of the line, head of the class, PhD in worrywart-ism. Straight to DEFCON 1 on the scale of worrying at the mere suggestion of something awkward/unpleasant/untoward that may happen.

Last night I was reading my newly-arrived February edition of Oprah Magazine, and I came across this article by Martha Beck about 20 questions you should ask yourself that could change your life. I present #3 to you here:

"Why worry? these two words, considered sincerely, can radically reconfigure the landscape of your mind. Worry rarely leads to positive action; it's just painful, useless fear about hypothetical events, which scuttles happiness rather than ensuring it. Some psychologists say that by focusing on gratitude, we can shut down the part of the brain that worries. It actually works!"

When I reflected on this, I realized that I really have stopped worrying less and I'm now attributing it to my new year's resolution of an attitude of gratitude. So for less worrying and more gratitude, I am truly thankful.

No comments: