Tuesday, August 17, 2010

we are cooking with gas in Bogota

Mac and I just returned from the movies (more on that in a second) to find out that our 600 pounds of air freight are being delivered in the morning at 9am. Can you say "hurray"? Pretty sure we've never gotten air freight so quickly but I'm not complaining. There's nothing terribly exciting in the air freight, but it means we can use our own sheets and towels and have more clothes and some of our own kitchen supplies including my beloved coffeemaker. Throw in a few toys for the Mac-man and everybody will be thrilled!

Now on to those movies. I'm pretty proud of myself because I managed to look up the movies online to verify the showtime as well as whether the movie was dubbed in Spanish or merely subtitled. Then I noticed that they had something like a frequent flyer membership so I joined that online as well. Hurray for me and my espanol. We got to the movies and after telling/pantomiming that I am a Gold Elite Member (HA!), I paid my membership fee of about $3.50 and bought our two tickets (as a Gold Elite Member, for the month of August, the ticket price is about $4.50 a ticket) and away we went.

Then we stopped at McD's so Mac could get a sundae. I ordered in my best espanol and the attendant was clearly not expecting that, so she immediately called somebody else over to help without even listening to me. So I ordered the sundae with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup from the second girl, who repeated it almost exactly like I said to the first girl, who appeared dumbfounded and admitted that she didn't think I could speak in Spanish. So DOUBLE HA! to her and DOUBLE HURRAY! to me!

Clearly I'm all about the little victories right now.

No comments: