Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1st day of school (in photos)


But first of all, a note (in words): I did not choose to dress Mac this way for his first day at a new school. It's a British school and this is their dress uniform. Buttoning all those buttons on an oxford shirt and putting on that tie increased his dressing time by at least 5 minutes (and that's because I did all the buttoning). Gone are the days of wrinkled t-shirts and jeans. I love uniforms, but bah humbug on all those blasted buttons!

A second note (in words): 5:30am comes very, very early, my dear friends.

Now on to the photos.



(Yes, I am that mother who just throws on clothes to go down to the bus stop. I have been known to throw a jacket over a nightshirt and stuff the ends of the nightshirt into my jeans so I look dressed. But today I really was dressed. Not showered, but dressed!)

(This photo makes me feel as a mother like I'm sending him off to the wolves. There were no American-looking kids on the van yet and he saw that, too. There's an American kindergartener who lives a block away and I'm praying fervently that they picked her up next so he'll know somebody on the bus. As a consolation prize for a sad mother, none of the other kids were talking to each other, so maybe they're all new students and starting on a level playing field?)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That last picture of Mack getting on the bus reveals his concerns of his new school and meeting new friends. I'm sure he'll find a circle of friends that will lift his spirits. Thanks Susan for sharing. I like you're early morning attire.
Uncle Claud

tia smith said...

Wow -- can't believe how grown up Mac looks! Maybe it is the uniform...which is darling, I have to say (besides the button factor!) Sure makes me miss the uniform days of Chapel already! Loved catching up on your blog...Bogota sounds amazing and it must be so wonderful to have your family back together again! Enjoy!