Tuesday, August 17, 2010

top 10 things I love about our apartment (in no particular order)

1. It’s close enough to walk just about everywhere I need or want to go.

2. The furniture is just about all brand new. The fabric is hideous and needs to be slipcovered but new furniture in the foreign service is a novelty to me.

3. For the first time in my entire life (and I’m not exaggerating), I have use of 1) a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and 2) a freezer that spits out crunchy ice from the dispenser on the front. If I can’t have a Zaxby’s Coca-Cola for the next two years, I can just make my own Coke with not-quite-Zaxby’s crunchy ice.

4. The apartment is big enough for all of us to spread out and have some space. My favorite Khalil Gibran quote is “let there be spaces in our togetherness” and in this apartment, we can have our spaces.

5. We have three doormen. One of them seems like a grump, the other has been pleasant enough, and the third asked us if we liked coffee and when we said yes, he started to run off to get us some. I love that man.

6. We have a bathtub, which apparently is not common in Bogota. I’m more of a shower kind of girl, but it’s nice to know there’s a bathtub for the odd occasion when I want to take a bath.

7. Our new rugs from the Middle East look amazing against the dark hardwood floors.

8. There is wonderful morning light that just fills the apartment up with sunshine and warmth.

9. I love storage spaces, like closets and cubbies and nooks and crannies. There is no shortage of all those spaces in this apartment.

10. Although we haven’t used it yet, I think I’m going to love the solarium. There’s a great view of a mountain from there and the terrace, and I think either of those spots would be a perfect place to have coffee in the morning or dinner at night. Now we just need some furniture for both spots!

No comments: