Tuesday, January 20, 2009

South Beach Diet, Day 1

Over the Christmas holidays, when Jimmy and I were eating anything that wasn't nailed down which included a lot of gifted and delicious chocolates and things of that evil nature, we gained a little weight. Jimmy borrowed the South Beach Diet book from a coworker and was thinking about doing the diet to drop the weight quickly. I jumped on the bandwagon (the cover says you can lose 8-13 pounds of belly fat in 2 weeks!) and said we'd both do it and we'd do it whole-hog. That meant no cheating, no substitutions, etc for the 2 weeks we agreed to stay on the diet.

So today is Day 1 and I am a carbohydrate junkie who has not had her fix today. This means I am very tired and very cranky. Yesterday I would've bet you a million dollars I wouldn't be tempted by anything I couldn't have today, but can I tell you that if I weren't so upstanding and honest, I would've cheated so big-time today on Jimmy with everything in our snack cabinet. Jimmy would've never known.

This diet is ruthless and doesn't allow for anything I love like Coca-Cola and peanut M&Ms. How can you survive without those things? You can only drink water and decaffeinated tea and coffee. One of the snacks today was a celery stalk with a piece of low-fat cheese stuck in it. Celery is only meant to be eaten with spicy chicken wings and blue cheese dressing. For dessert, we had vanilla ricotta creme. They add the "creme" part to make you think "creme brulee" but this is nothing but ricotta cheese mixed with vanilla flavoring with some fake sugar and it's as awful as it sounds. I thought ricotta cheese was only used in lasagna?!?! As hungry as I was, I had to give part of mine to Jimmy because I could not stomach another bite.

This diet is unnatural and I'm not sure I can last 2 weeks on it. We're now going to reevaluate after 1 week and see if we're happy with our progress. Maybe the scale will make me happy tomorrow. I'm going to bed now before the distant grumblings of my stomach become so loud that they keep me awake.

No comments: