Friday, September 4, 2015

more volleyball

I went this morning to watch the volleyball tournament.  The three-time Olympic gold medalist Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross, her partner since 2013 when her former partner Misty May-Treanor retired, were scheduled to play at 8am, so I had Jimmy drop me off on his way to work.  I got there at 7:20, and they were already on the court warming up with their Austrian competition, so I had lots of time to watch them and their coach.  

As the match got ready to start, the coach came and sat in the mini-bleachers, down a bit from me.  I kept thinking I should go speak to him.  And I also kept thinking, "What would Jimmy Story do?" The answer to that question is simple:  he'd march over, plunk himself down next to the guy, introduce himself and find out everything he ever wanted to know about volleyball.   

The match got underway and the American ladies won the first game.  The second game progressed and I knew it was going to be over soon.  The whole time, I kept thinking, "What would Jimmy Story do?"  
(The coach and his son during warm-ups)

When the match ended with the Americans easily winning 2 games, I channeled Jimmy Story, put my big-girl pants on and marched myself over to the coach.  I introduced myself, he introduced himself (Marcio Sicoli) and his young son who was with him, and we talked about Kerri and April as if I knew what I was talking about.  He was super cool and friendly and discussed strategies with Kerri's shoulder injuries, how they encourage each other on the court, etc..  And lo and behold, Kerri came up to the net and asked him where she and April should meet him.  He introduced me - by name - to her and asked me if I wanted a photo taken with her.  Are you kidding me?  A 3-time Olympic gold medalist and me?  Um, okay.  


Let me also just say that this woman is in amazing shape.  She's 37 years old, has had 3 babies, and still she looks like this.  I've decided I need to take up beach volleyball...

I met up with friends and we watched a few more matches before going to an Arabic restaurant for lunch and returning to the big court for the match between Walsh and Ross and a Brazilian team. We found some Americans from the Consulate there and sat as one little unit of Americana in a sea of Brazilians.  The first game was close but the Americans pulled away in the second and won the match.  

After it was over, I watched and Kerri Walsh went around to every single person on that court from the main judges to the line judges to the ballboys and girls to the crew who levels out the sand and thanked each and every one of them.  Class act all the way.

Way to represent and stay classy, Team USA!
 

No comments: