Thursday, September 10, 2015

A day in the life of Copacabana Beach

Today was a very lazy day for me. If I didn't have Leo with me, I might have used the beach service of the Sofitel (but dogs aren't allowed on the sand in Rio. I've taken him several times but the Sofitel beach attendants were very nervous about the municipal police showing up).  Or I might have had a massage at the spa (but Leo's having some anxiety issues and since an exception was made to let us keep Leo on the club level, I don't want to leave him and have him bark to the annoyance of neighbors). 

For the record:  The Sofitel does accept small dogs up to 5kg, just reportedly not on the club level. So we are on the DL up here in the rarified air with our dog who may weigh more than 5kg. I just pretend I'm French (since the Sofitel is French) and that Leo is a little frou-frou Frenchie lap dog and I carry him from the room to the elevator and through the lobby until we exit the hotel. It suits him, and since he may weigh more than 5kg, my arm muscles get a good workout. 

Leo and I walked Copacabana Beach (on the sidewalk, not in the sand) from 8:00 to 10:15 this morning. And when I say we walked, I mean we walked some, we rested on benches some, we people-watched a lot, and Leo got carried a bit when he just refused to walk another step. 

I cannot tell you how much activity there is on Copacabana Beach in the morning. It is nonstop. I don't know when these people work but they definitely enjoy the morning hours on the beach. 

Some photos of what I saw:
A military unit running in formation 

An ad for a Gillette razor...
... That was created for the male body

This lady ran to the beach, stripped down to her bathing suit, swam, did her yoga-esque stretching, swam again and left. 

Beach clean-up

Group exercise class 

Personal trainer helping a client stretch 

A swimming club, post-swim (they were all freezing as the water is very cold right now)

Leo's fancy new friend Tookie!  (I took this photo just for the Harrop clan!)

Hats for sale!  Lots and lots and lots of hats. 

Setting up the bikini stand - this umbrella will end up dripping loads of bikinis 

Drinking a beer. At 8:21am. I'm guessing he doesn't work the day shift. 
 
Group exercise class

The paddleboarder is the guide for the swim club swimmers. He's sort of like the mother duck who makes sure all her ducklings are okay. 

A kayaker acting as the support vehicle for a lone swimmer (in front of the kayak)

My beloved Leo on the famous mosaic Copcabana sidewalk

2 comments:

Dara said...

Tookie seems like a fine friend for Leo but I'm not sold on the pink bow she's sporting. Doesn't quite seem to go. 😉

Tessa said...

Tookie! I love it! And I love your blog. It's a happy source of entertainment for me. :)