Thursday, December 11, 2014

12-8-14

Twice now in the last week, I have seen the face of American mental illness on my commute home. It's not a happy picture. 

Last week I was on the train with a man who had a full-fledged but one-sided conversation. I say one-sided because I only heard his part, but he was clearly having a conversation with someone or a voice or something. He railed against the Catholic and Lutheran churches, carried on about "fetal abortion" at the hands of the church, and talked about how Hillary performed the surgery with Bill watching. 

And today I rode right behind a woman who wasn't terribly loud but who used expletives to talk about someone when there was no one with her to listen or respond. 

Both people were dressed relatively well, both were on the train when I got on and both got off at the Court House station in Arlington. 

I say a prayer of thanksgiving everyday for my physical health, but I need to add prayers of thanksgiving for my mental health as well. Mental illness is a very scary thing. 

No comments: