Friday, December 12, 2014

12-12-14

I've been a loyal federal government employee since I graduated from college in 1993. I've had periods of unemployment as we've moved around, but every job I've had brought a paycheck directly from Uncle Sam. 

Now I'm working for Uncle Sam via a third party contractor. It feels no different than other jobs, really, except that my paycheck comes from the private sector. 

I should say that it felt no different until today. 

I got home to find 4 boxes had been delivered. I assumed they were all from my online shopping blitz on Monday night when I panicked because Christmas was in, like, 2 weeks and I had not the first present bought for Mac, Jimmy, our moms, close friends, etc. God bless the Internet and online shopping. 

So back to the boxes...

I opened them up tonight while Mac and Jimmy were at basketball practice. One box contained a big box of "fresh cream chocolates". I'm all about "fresh cream chocolates", whatever those are, but I definitely didn't order them. 

I looked for a card and didn't see one. 

I looked at the label to make sure the package really was for me. My name and address were there. 

The return address had a man's name and underneath it said "Happy Holidays!"  

I did not recognize the name and decided to call the chocolate company tomorrow to tell them a mistake had been made. 

And then I saw my employer company's name off on the side of the label. 

My employer sent me a huge box of chocolates. How cool is that??  I know this is unimpressive to those of you who work in the private sector and receive annual bonuses larger than my annual salary, but this makes me happier than you can possibly imagine. 

Look at this box. 

Have you ever seen such a big box of chocolates?  

Oh wait, you need perspective on how big my box of chocolates is?  

I haven't even opened it up yet because I don't really care if there are only 4 chocolates in that big box. Or if they're gross and have cherries inside them (which are the worst chocolates ever). 

The point is that my employer sent me a holiday gift and that has never ever happened in 21 years. 

I'm kind of ecstatic over this largesse. 

No comments: