Tuesday, June 3, 2014

NYR 6-3-14

Today was an incredibly busy day at Mac's school.  They had an internet safety course, a gardening session (which I volunteered to help with), and the dreaded sex ed class.

They divided the class up into boys and girls.  The boys did internet safety in the morning while the girls did sex ed, we gardened together from 11:35 to 12:20, they ate lunch and then the boys had sex ed while the girls did internet safety. 

I don't think Mac really knew what was coming in the afternoon, although I heard from other parents that the class is the subject of great angst for the entire year so maybe he caught wind of it from his friends.

During the gardening session, one of the mom volunteers overheard a boy say that "this day will go down as the very worst of his entire career at the school: first they were shown disturbing images of all the horrible stuff that's out there on the internet, then they had to pull weeds in the hot sun, and then they had to discuss body parts."

I really didn't expect Mac to discuss the sex ed class with me, but as soon as we met up in the parking lot, he started talking.  They gave every boy a little stick of Old Spice deodorant, which I found hysterical.  It's Fiji-scented, whatever that smells like.  Mac told me the girls got "those pad things" in their class.  He also said that he got a packet of information, but "it would be best if I didn't look at it because it's disgusting."

(Needless to say I'm dying to look at the packet, but I'm waiting until he goes to bed before I snoop through his backpack.)

Today, I'm particularly thankful that I'm not a school nurse and don't have to teach these classes.



1 comment:

The Stone Rabbit said...

T just had his too. Can you imagine having to teach this to an entire 5th grade? Yikes.

T was told he was supposed to go home and tell me what he learned and ask questions. He did an exceptionally brief review, asked his questions "did I have learn all this stuff in school too?" and "Did you ever talk to your Mom and Dad about it?" Then he goes to little brother and tells him when he doesn't want to talk to Mom about something just ask her "how do babies get in your tummy?" Great, just great. . .